I started my trip from Vietnam since it always has good deal flying to Ho Chi Minh City and I stayed there a month for workaway/ voluntary service.
Anyway, here are the places you should visit there and some of my feedback as below:
- Independent Palace – worth to check out once
- Saigon Notre-Dame Basilica – I only managed to take pictures from outside
- War Museum – worth to go but there are still many other museums along the journey
- Bến Thành Market– good to window shopping only, mainly for tourist to try local food and expensive souvenirs. Do not recommend to buy things there
- Bitexco Financial Tower – I missed out this, just saw from far
- Saigon Central Post Office – it’s free to go and it’s good to buy postcards and post it to friends and relatives. Remember to check out the working hours!
- Next to the post office, do not miss out the book street
- Tan Dinh church – catholic church with a pink facade, I only took picture and from far
- District 1: a lot of Pubs, Clubs for tourists. Good to check out Glow Skybar and my favourite club is still Apocalypse Now Bar.
- Taking Uber Ride: You should experience to take Uber motor ride in HCMC. It is convenient and cheap to go around the city.
Food to eat:
- Banh Mi (baguette sandwich)
- Pho (noodles)
- Bun thit nuong
- Oc (Vietnamese Shellfish)
- Goi Cuon (Vietnamese Spring Rolls) – my favourite
- Banh Xeo (Crispy Pancake) – my favourite
- Banh Cuon (Rolled Cake)
- Bun Thit Nuong (Vermicelli Noodles with Grilled Pork)
There are so so many nice foods in HCMC, in fact the whole Vietnam. I eat everywhere.
Besides this, if you have more time, you can take a tour to the places which a bit far from the town:
- Cu Chi Tunnel – 1 and 1/2 hours from HCMC, and I booked from this tour agency (recommended by my local friend): The Sinh Tourist: overall my feedback was good with this half-day tour, comfy bus, good tour guide.
- Mekong River Tour – I booked a 3 days 2 nights tour from this travel agent: Daily Travel Trading Service Company Ltd– price 1150,000 VND. Why I booked 3 days tour instead of 2 days? Because my friend and I wanted to see the Tra Su Forest, where most of 2 days tour did not cover that. Below is the picture taken in Tra Su forest:
- Phu Quoc island– I did not go but hear it’s nice and commercialize, cost and expense slightly expensive. Full of Foreigners
- Vung Tau – fishing village I heard, did not get the chance to visit this time.I think mainly for local people staying (which I like)
Places to do gym and Brazilian jujitsu:
- I practised BJJ at Saigon Luta Livre in district 3, not far from town, take uber bike / grab bike to go and the coach was awesome, professional and funny.
- I went once to star fitness gym for BJJ and using the gym facilities including swimming pool for one whole day, cost me 100,000 VND. I liked the experience.
These were all my experiences and own reviews for each place and food in HCMC. Do I like there? Yes, I do despite the crazy traffics and polluted air over there. People are so nice everywhere and I met most of new local friends who willing to take me to try some nice food and toured me around.
See you next time, HCMC!